Staff Advisory Council offers a variety of awards throughout the calendar year for staff. Please see each award category below for more information, including eligibility and important dates.
The Outstanding Staff Awards are given yearly during Staff Recognition Week in the Spring Semester. Nominations for these awards are accepted at the beginning of every year. A committee comprised of Staff Advisory Council members and staff-at-large will make the selections. Any staff member (except Staff Advisory Council members), faculty member, student, alumni or retiree from the University may submit nominations.
The Staff Development Award Program provides full-time staff of UM System and University of Missouri-Columbia an opportunity to receive financial support toward activities for professional and personal development. Funding is available for conferences, workshops, short courses, or other appropriate short-term experiences.
- As funding allows, there will be three award cycles per year coinciding with the start of the spring, summer, and fall semesters. The application window will open approximately six weeks ahead of each semester/award cycle. Application windows are kept open for 9 full days.
- Eligible applicants must be full time (>75% FTE) permanent University of Missouri-Columbia or UM System staff members, non-hospital, without academic appointment, who have successfully completed six months of continuous employment, and are in good standing with the university by the application deadline. Current Staff Development Award Review Committee members (including the SAC ex-officio) are not eligible to apply while serving their term.
The Education Award program is intended to assist in professional and personal development of eligible MU and UM System staff. These funds are available for classes or courses at accredited institutes of higher education.
- Awarded the Spring and Fall semesters of each year. The application window will open approximately six weeks ahead of each semester, in tandem with the Spring and Fall Staff Development Award cycle. Application windows are kept open for 9 full days.
- Funds in the amount $400 are given to recipients each round.
- Eligible applicants must be full time (>75% FTE) permanent University of Missouri-Columbia staff members or UM System employees, are non-hospital staff members, do not have an academic appointment, and have successfully completed six months of continuous employment with the university by the application deadline. Current SAC members and Education Award Review Committee members are not eligible to apply while serving their term.
Would you like to give to the Staff Education Award Fund? Check out the Mizzou Give Direct site for more info.
The SAC Salutes Award is given to a group or department that stands out for exemplary service and dedication to the University.
The Staff Advisory Council recognizes an outstanding group or department twice a year.
- Oct. 1 to Dec. 1 – Nominations accepted for one SAC Salutes Award presented during the first half of the year (January to June).
- April 1 to June 1 – Nominations accepted for one SAC Salutes Award presented during second half of the year (July to December).
- A plaque recognizing the department/group.
- Public recognition on Staff Advisory Council website and social media.
- Any University of Missouri staff member, faculty member, or student may submit nominations.
- Departments and units that contain a Staff Advisory Council Executive Board or Awards Committee member are ineligible to receive this award. Departments that contain a Staff Advisory Council member who does not fall into these categories are still eligible for this award.
- Staff Advisory Council members are unable to nominate their own department but can nominate other departments.
- The department or group must be part of (or affiliated with) MU or the UM System, and should not be an MU Health Care staff member.
The Service Champion Award is given to individual employees who go above and beyond their daily duties with a work ethic that makes them stand out.
Any University of Missouri staff member (except Staff Advisory Council members), faculty member or student may submit nominations.
The Staff Advisory Council recognizes one outstanding individual for this honor each month. Nominations are accepted twice a year.
- Oct. 1 to Dec. 1 – Nominations accepted for Service Champions honored in January, February, March, April, May and June.
- April 1 to June 1 – Nominations accepted for Service Champions honored in July, August, September, October, November and December.
The award includes:
- A framed certificate.
- Promotional items from Staff Advisory Council and campus partners, along with donations from The Mizzou Store, Campus Dining Services and MizzouRec.
- Public recognition on Staff Advisory Council social media.
Nominee must be an MU or UM System employee with at least 75% full-time equivalent (FTE) status and at least six months of continuous employment.
Current Staff Advisory Council members are not eligible to receive the award. Staff Advisory Council members who serve on the Executive Board or on an Awards Committee are unable to submit nominations.
Nominee should not be an MU Health Care Employee or have an academic appointment.